Monday, June 28, 2010

It all started with.....




A Roadtrip!!......

This was my first experience of travel as an ‘independent’ adult or rather interdependent adult, spreading my wings outside of my parents care. Life is a web of relationships with people who provide support for each other. Most of my activities can only be completed with an immense amount of input from others, as well as a carload of equipment to help me stay comfortable and well. The expression of 'everything but the kitchen sink' definitely applies when I go away. My packing list usually include:

  • Bathroom stuff
  • BiPAP
  • Mask and harness
  • Tape, scissors and lipbalm
  • Hoist
  • Positioning supports
  • Pillows
  • Mattress and machine
  • Commode
  • Wheelchair charger
  • Oxygen machine
  • Oxygen hose
  • Multiplug and double adapter
  • Laptop
  • Camera

This doesn’t count the other necessities that the average traveller carries around when they go roadtripping. But as my Mum always says you need to be prepared for all eventualities, and I believe that everyone has things they just can't do without and I just happen to take a few more.



2 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm clapping my hands in delight, cos this sounds like my checklist for travel, be it a day or a week! Lol, minus the oxygen and a few other features, add a table on wheels and the rest of the normal luggage and that's my list! So glad I'm not the only one that travels ridiculously heavy! :D

    How on earth did you manage with the need for respiratory equipment when you travelled overseas? The last time I went to Brisbane was before I needed to use the ventilation during the night and now I'm close to needing it during the day sometimes (for comfort if I've eaten too much/need to use the loo, etc). One of my concerns re. overseas travel now... What sort of respiratory support do you need throughout the day/night? (I only ask so I can compare.) :)

    P.S. You must have amazing support workers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So incredibly sorry its taken me over half a year to reply to your comment. I am only just learning to check for comments.

      In answer to your question, I use a Bi-PP type machine with suppliment oxygen at night with a mask. When I have traveled I always take the Bi-PAP as hand luggage as it has its own carry case that is about the size of a laptop.

      Depending on the type of equipment you need and where you travel to it might need to be insured as a seperate item on your policy. It is also always a good idea to do some research before you go about where you could get a replacement or repair done on any of your equipment should you need to.

      And yes, about my support people, I am very blessed.

      Delete