Friday, February 22, 2013

A bit of effort

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" - Emerson.

Ralph Waldo Emerson was one of the free thinkers of his time, writing essays and hosting lectures on his views and the associated teachings. He was all about the infinite potential for human achievement and how every person had an element of the divine in them, meaning all life should be respected. Many of his writings show his objections to power inequalities that existed in the world of his time, such as slavery and the dictatorial influence of church leaders. (I hope I have understood his biography correctly).

Having come across this mans words recently I was struck by how very true they are, in a world that tries to influence everything about who we are and how we live it seemed very relevant. Life seems to be a constant barrage of messages about what we should like, what we should eat/not eat, what we should look like and how we should act. It seems like the greatest voice of influence comes from media and the marketing industry that drives it.

Being a member of a society that has all these messages and 'advice' on how to live well it is no wonder so many people spend a lot of time feeling confused or inadequate in some way. That is why I grab on to such words of inspiration as Emerson wrote, to give me comfort that I don't have to be anyone other then who I am. All I need be the best, is to be the best me that I can.

Taking on that perspective involved shutting out the messages that are unhelpful and learning which ones are. It has also involved a bit of soul searching and making some promises to my self. To live this way and be the best me I can be involves; being genuine and truthful with myself and in my connections with others; being courageous when the opportunity arises; to take action or speak out to better myself or others situations; and finally (this the toughest one), to accept that I am good enough to be where I am and do what I do at any given time.

It isn't always easy to live that way, so I keep on striving for those things which I promised myself. With the aim of being the greatest me I can be, in order to have that freedom and peace of mind heart and spirit that comes from knowing I am enough.
"Nobody can bring you peace but yourself." - Emerson



No comments:

Post a Comment