Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Finding a direction

As so often happens these days, it is my little sister who seems to inadvertently find videos or words or images that express things that have been on my heart or mind for some time, but I haven't always even been aware that they are waiting to be expressed.

We have both adored the music created by this talented performer, known as Passenger, but today it is the words and melody of this song he created that has provided a pathway through which my feelings and thoughts on Purpose and Love (positive regard/kindness/care etc) can be expressed.

It seems like the most natural thing to want to give love and receive love and to have people in our lives who we can depend on and be depended on in return. I guess that's one of the big reasons why people enter relationships and start families, it gives us a purpose in life, to have these bonds to maintain.

I feel like for a long time I struggled with this underlying purpose in life. I have never been interested in starting a family or been maternal in any way and the idea that we should be restricted to who we provide love, respect, concern and care for has for a long time seemed utterly ridiculous to me. It feels like, if we are driven to be connected and to love, why are we limiting ourselves? Why can't we look outside our little circle of people to share positive regard with humanity in a wider sense?

These questions, which remained in my subconscious mind for a long time, are probably why I felt like I should find a career in psychology, which changed to counseling, which changed to mentoring and advocacy. Each of these evolutions or redirecting of purpose has ultimately been in search of more freedom and greater opportunities to reach out to people and to leave a positive impression.

This is now my purpose. To love and care for people regardless of whether I know them or even like them. I want to spend the rest of my life, in whatever form it comes, helping people to have the happiest and most contented life they can. Everyone deserves to be loved in some way, whether it's shown in a smile or hug or good deed or a comforting conversation.

Being on Ellen's show would give me not only the once in a lifetime experience of meeting her and being in LA but also being able to reach millions of people in the space of five minutes. Who knows what sort of positive ripple effect that could have. Positive leads to more positive and what is more positive then love.

1 comment: