Saturday, June 2, 2012


Prompt #17: What would be the soundtrack to your life and why?

1. Circle of Life- Elton John
2. Courage Is- The Strange Familiar
3. Brown Eyed Girl- Van Morrison
4. Morning town Ride- The Seekers
5. Wannabe- Spice Girls
6. Heal the World- Michael Jackson
7. Black or White- Michael Jackson
 8. A Thousand Years- Christina Perri
9. I want to Hold your Hand- Glee version
10. Somewhere only we know- Glee version
11. We are Young-  Fun
12. Lets twist again- Chubby Checker
13. Where is the Love?- Black eyed peas
14. Welcome Home- Dave Dobbyn
15. Somebody that I used to know- Gotye &Kimbra/Glee version (both awesome)
16. Not Alone- Darren Criss
17. Human- Darren Criss
18. Who you are- Jessie J 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lion King was my favorite movie when I was a kid and 'Circle of Life' sums up how I see life and the world. I see it as a very profound and tounching song.

'Courage Is' means a lot to me as I try to live with courage and the lyrics of this are a good reminder of its power to keep us moving forward. Also it is mentioned in a fanfiction that I read ages ago and it fit so perfectly that I liked it right away and the more I listened to it the more I realized the significance for my own life.

'Brown eyed Girl' is a car trip song from my childhood. If my sister and best friend was with me on a trip this song would almost always come up at some point. So it has connections with summer, beaches, fun times and laughter.

'Morning Town Ride' and the Seekers in general are connected very strongly with my childhood and my memories of my Poppa (grandad) who always played music by this band when we visited. We would sing along to some of the songs together even though we werent great singers :)

Spice Girls and their first song 'Wannabe' represents so much about my childhood in the mid 90's and reminds me of parties, dancing, singing and dressing up to perform. I used to dress up with my sister and friends and we would put on shows for anyone.

Michael Jackson's songs in general are all amazing, but both 'Heal the World' and 'Black or White' are such powerful songs in their message of love, acceptance and care for the world and the people in it. I think his music has stayed connected with me as it was so prevalent during my childhood in the 90's and being able to see him in person when I was 9 years old had a big impact on me.

I am a real sucker for emotional stories and 'A Thousand Years' by Christina Perri epitomizes such a story for me. It is both a teaser and a promise of what true love could be like. The idea that possibly there is someone out there who I could connect with and who could love me beyond this lifetime. Who wouldn't fall for a story like that!! Also it is a song I have connected to a fanfiction that basically follows the idea of love over coming obstacles to allow two people to be together. Their love is so special that it is not just in this lifetime that they are to be together, but others, future and past, essentially it is destiny. This is truely my favorite story and really shows my true colors as an idealistic romantic.

Glee in general is an awesomely positive part of my life, but the guys that sing these songs on the show are absolutely amazing and I admire them so much. Chris Colfer who sang 'I want to hold your hand' is brilliant and this scene where he sings this to his ill dad just epitomizes their amazing relationship. This in turn reflects the awesome relationship I have with my Dad, he has supported and encouraged me through so much and this song represents that for me.

'Somewhere only we know' sung by Darren Criss is also incredibly beautiful. I love the reasons his character, Blaine, is singing this song and I guess it just pulls on the heart-strings of this hopeless romantic. Also I find that its lyrics about having a special place to get away to and just to be together and be yourselves together is pretty amazing in connecting as a song with my friends. Because when I am with my close friends I can be exactly who I am and not pretend. That is the greatest gift of any friendship, unconditional acceptance and love.

'We are Young' is such a catchy song and it has kind of become my anthem recently. It kind of reminds me not to take life too seriously and to hold on to my inner child. So I have embraced my old habits of singing at the top of my lungs when the mood takes me and occasionally having dessrt for dinner because I can. It is a song I love to sing along to with one of my friends and it is so great being able to share and bounce off each others enthusiasm and energy. 

Rock and Roll music was one of the first genres I was introduced to by my parents and so this song ('Lets twist again') epitomizes my early childhood memories of music and years afterwards where such music continued to have a connection with parties and fun.

Blackeyed peas represent my teen years and I have particularly always liked their first big hit, 'Where is the love?'.  It sums up how so many of the problems around us are because people don't care and turn a blind eye to all the fighting and poverty, suffering and violence. It made me want to do my best to show kindness and make a positive difference.

Welcome Home is a very sentimental song for me as it brings out a bit of my Kiwi (New Zealand) pride. It is written and perfrmed by a Kiwi artist Dave Dobbyn who s a bit of a legend. I love the spirit of this song, how it talks about generosity and having open hearts and arms for each other. I feel like it says a lot about the good side of Kiwi culture and the beautiful land that I am so proud to call home.

'Somebody that I used to know' is such a popular song and as a Kiwi it is so thrilling to know one of our young stars has been part of that success. Kimbra is from Hamilton where I am also from, so that is extra cool. It was extra special to see it performed on Glee and to have it done so well by Darren Criss and  Matt Bomer. It is a measure of a songs success in my opinion to have it performed on Glee.

'Not Alone' is an inspiring song from an amazing songwriter, I have a huge admiration for Darren Criss's music writing and acting etc (triple threat). It reminds me that there are always people who will support me and that if things are difficult at the moment they will get better. I really enjoy A Very Potter Musical and A Very Potter Sequel. which are always a good pick me up. I have experienced personally the uplifting power of this song and have heard many others talk about the inspiration etc they get from this song and others like it.

'Human' is a quirky little song that jut reminds me not to take myself to seriously and not to beat myself up if I make a mistake. It is also a good reminder to see each other as equals and not to get caught up in hype or gossip but to get to know someone for who they really are.

'Who you are ' is an awesome song and has the same effect as Not Alone and Human, in that it gives me a reality check on life and to appreciate my talents and to work on my weaknesses so I can help others.



No comments:

Post a Comment