Tuesday, May 22, 2012



 Prompt #13: Write a thank you letter to your Mother, or the most important woman in your life. 
Dear Mum

This is a late Mothers Day letter that took me far longer to get around to writing then it should. I know in our family we are practical people and that words and actions of love don’t seem to come easily, but I have to say there has NEVER been a single moment that I EVER felt unloved. There is so much you have done for me on so many levels, in big and small ways. It amazes me how you have looked after all my needs as well as the rest of the family and dealt with all the other things that have come long without throwing in the towel. For this and so many other reasons I want to thank you.

I love your courage and strength of spirit. You have dealt with sleepless nights, stress, worry, budgets, cooking, cleaning and a million other things with so much strength, grace and good humor that I feel no-one could ask for a better mother. I can’t imagine what you have been through every time you had to sleep by a hospital bed for my sake and had to be away from Rose and Dad. As well as all the tough decisions, compromises and sacrifices you have made. This is the example of strength and courage I seek to follow as I continue on my path of adulthood and independence.

I love your generous nature and how you have led your life in a way that has benefited so many others. All the sports groups, school trips and community groups you have contributed to so willingly and graciously to over the years. I feel as though you have not just been a mother to your own family but a mother to the community. In the way you have supported and strengthened groups and individuals to grow and thrive. It is also shown in your care for so many people, the way you have opened your arms to those people who have been part of our lives over the years. There has been many a friend who wished you were their mother or that they could adopt you as their mum. But I have to say I wouldn’t want to give you up, but perhaps we could share.

I love your sense of humor which has helped me through so much. I think it has gradually absorbed into me, as I hear myself breaking out jokes and quips in moments of stress just as you have done so many times. It has brought many a smile to my face hearing you break into song or whistling a tune as you work away at something. I love your voice and I don’t know whether you ever knew but I when I was little I would call you the Lark when you were singing around the house. I think this is part of why I love music so much and will happily sing along any chance I get. The moments I have watched you let loose and bust into song and dance with Rose at the drop of a hat was always hilarious and just another reason why you are the coolest mum ever.

I want to thank you with all that I am and will grow to be for all the love, care and time you have graced me with in life. I need you to remember that although I might not express my feelings very often that I am always grateful for everything that you have done (maybe not in that moment) and that I love you deeply.
Arohanui,
Tegan

No comments:

Post a Comment